Thursday, June 7, 2012

Making a raised garden bed and a cool tomato trellising tip!

Yesterday I went to a home improvement store looking for some more containers to add to my garden.  I got quite a work out cause  I must have walked from one end of the store to the other about 6 times.  All the pots seemed like too much money to spend on plastic.  Then I saw the raised garden beds!  I decided that was the way to go, but not cheap at $70-90.  I had a stroke of genius - hammer four pieces of wood together and voila garden bed!  It just so happened that I had some old wood boards in the yard, so I bought some nails, wood glue, and four small square post that I found in the wood molding section.  I used these pieces to create some more stability.  See what I'm talking about...


The old wood planks are glued and hammered to the posts.  I filled the whole thing up with some organic potting soil and planted 3 different squash plants, 2 bell peppers, and a lettuce patch!


My tomatoes were ready for training so I bought a wire frame trellis.  I also bought some little hair clips to use as moveable tomato clips!


Now my tomatoes are training up the trellis but are free to grow as they please!



No comments:

Post a Comment